Friday, December 7, 2012

Christmas Drawing

There's a good solid chance that you won't believe this story.

Every year for years now sometime in December we've trucked up into the mountains of Pennsylvania for the Ritchey family Christmas party. My wife's parents, aunts, uncles, cousins and all that kind of thing.

I don't exactly relish it. But it's not terrible. The setting is usually very pleasant and the food is very good and her aunt's all make their Christmas cookies. The kids have a great time and usually end up getting gifts.

There's just really not much for me to do there.

Her uncles and cousins gather around the television set, tune it in to whatever football game is blah blah blah I just got bored even typing that out. And if they're not all deadly-quiet watching football, then they're talking about hunting.

I have a wide range of interests. Sorry... that's a little inaccurate. I have a narrow range of interests that happens to spread across a wide range of decades. At any rate, the point is that football and hunting aren't in my wheelhouse.

So I slink off to one of the comfy chairs in the corner, pull out the trusty iPad, and read.

Problem is, it's warm and toasty and we've been in the car for awhile and I get sleepy. Also, the sounds of football illicit childhood memories and headaches. Mostly headaches. Whether you love football or don't, you have to admit that the background noise it gives off is not... pleasant. The situation isn't always reading-ideal.

So last year I decided I would broaden my spectrum. Instead of reading so much, I'll try drawing! I used to draw all the time as a kid and studied art in high school, so why not use the iPad (amazing tool) and try my hand at drawing again?

I can even make it a Christmasy/comic booky theme and try to bolster my ailing holiday spirit!

I drew this:


It was after we got home, after I had excitedly emailed my pic out to all my friends and family, that I suddenly remembered why I was having this deja vu feeling so incredibly strong.

I had done exactly the same thing last year.

No no... exactly the same.

This is the pic I drew the year previous:


Same situation. Same party. Same rational. Same isolationist tactics. Same character. Same bag of presents. Same damn Santa hat. Probably the same staggeringly-boring football game!

Really? Am I THAT small minded?

I was in the midst of beating myself up for being a one trick pony when my father replied to my email.

"Last year he was carrying the bag over his right shoulder."

...

Heavy sigh.

Thanks,
DCD

6 comments:

  1. It's true. I DON'T believe it. Did Dad really email you that??? REALLY?!?! Or are you padding the story a little?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. I verified that I had the email before publishing the story. In case anyone called my honesty into question.

      Delete
  2. Do you ever feel weird when you start drawing crotches?

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  3. The same picture, year after year... there must be a glitch in the Matrix. I'm sending Mr. Smith over right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Dad has quite an eye for detail!! It sounds so much like him!! Dixiegirl in VT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a new holiday tradition. Better keep it up!

    ReplyDelete