Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Helter Skelter

When I was a senior in high school, I read the scariest book I have ever read. Helter Skelter. The true life story of the Manson Family murders. You can read more about it here.

The book is... to use the word 'insane' would be ridiculously redundant. The idea that this actually happened, that people performed these murders and believed that they were justified in doing so, or that they just didn't care, is downright scary.

I literally could not sleep with the lights out. I laid there in my bed in 1987, imagining there were murderous, unreasonable hippies hiding under my bed.

ANYWAY... it's today. Today is Helter Skelter. It happened in August 8th, 1969. Roughly one month before I was born. Sharon Tate, most publicized victim of the murders, was eight months pregnant.



I guess I feel intrigued by the macabre of the situation. It's why I like horror movies and I'm drawn to historical stories like Lizzie Borden and Elizabeth Bathory.

Lizzie Bordon is purely history, as her acts were from 1892. The Countess Bathory is even more removed, being from the 1600's. Manson and his craziness was over forty years ago. But this recent stuff? I prefer to read about these things like they're ancient acts of the past. I'm completely sick of getting iPhone AP News notifications that someone else has died.

So... it's Helter Skelter day everyone.

Thanks,
DCD

2 comments:

  1. HAPPY HELTER SKELTER DAY!! We are totally making cookies to celebrate! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you seen The History Channel's program about this event? It is brutal to watch as they recreate the entire event in excruciating detail. I,having been 8 mos. pregnant at that time, felt almost personally connected. I'm gonna pass on making cookies though =)Dixiegirl in VT

    ReplyDelete