Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Tom Cruise and Val Kilmer




Have you ever caught yourself thinking about the differences between Val Kilmer and Tom Cruise? How the heck did you get THERE? What was the thought pattern? Holy Moley. Okay… let’s track back.

Right before this moment, I was thinking about whose life must be better. Tom Cruise is more successful in his field and still considered a ‘hottie’. But Val Kilmer has GOT to be leading a more stable life, if the super market tabloids are to be believed.

Right. That’s no help. Okay… one step further back.

Both were in Top Gun, with that sharp jaw thing that twenty-something’s seem to have. Only Val was the bad guy because we were all supposed to root for Tom, which is ironic because Val was Batman. Of course, Tom was Ethan Hunt. But one suspects they’re both pricks in real life.






Okay. We still have no insight on where this all began. One step further back, what was I thinking about?

That’s right…. The scene in Top Gun where Tom Cruise is shouting insults while pretending to cough.



Hmmmmm….

Right. I was thinking about the email I sent out the other day at work.

“I'm gonna be out tomorrow afternoon on accounta being totally sick. (cough) BATMAN MOVIE (cough). So I've got no dev meeting planned.”

I was thinking about how obviously our culture uses this cliché coughing-and-speaking technique after having seen it popularized by young, cocky, fighter pilots in the movie Top Gun.

So Batman ended up being more relevant to this thought process than originally thought, which just goes to show that EVERYTHING begins with comics.

Thanks,
DCD

3 comments:

  1. Dude. This posts needs a MAP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it sad that I followed this post? However, the 2 movies that should have been mentioned for Val Kilmer are Real Genius and Top Secret!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Willow is my favorite Val Kilmer movie (and one of my all-time favorite movies). Madmartigan! Hmm, I wonder if Brynn is ready to watch that yet.

    ReplyDelete