Friday, November 23, 2012

Collecting T-Shirts

As I’ve spoken about before, I’ve mostly stopped collecting physical objects. Mostly. At any rate, the collecting of physical objects is WAY down from years previous.

So why do I keep buying t-shirts with super heroes on them?

I have no idea, really. There is no practical reason. I’ve never been a snappy dresser, never really been a t-shirt guy. Clothes have always been an annoying necessity for me, not things to adorn myself with or use to draw attention. In my college and bachelor years, I wore whatever I could get for cheap at K-Mart or Wal-Mart that would actually fit me. This was before they made all these super hero t-shirts readily available on the internet and in my size: GM (Gigantic Mutant).

There’s the vague idea that hipsters might think it’s cool to have some obscure comic character on their chest. But me? I love the obscure comic character. That’s why he’s on my chest. But…. But… it’s not exactly as if I spend the day looking at my chest.

My Aunt Melodee has noticed this less-than-redeemable habit of mine. She’s been quick to point out in whispery fashion to my cousins “Look Look…. I told you he would wear something comic booky.”

Yes, she used the word “comic booky”. I’m sure she just meant ‘weird’.

I also have no need for posters anymore. I have a metric ton of comic book posters, but not exactly a wealth of wall space. So while we’re slowly building the addition with what will eventually be my new comic book room, I don’t know yet if I plan to put up any posters. I DO have an excellent Aquaman fathead I got as a Christmas present one year and I’ll definitely be putting that up. But posters? I don’t know yet. Haven’t decided. Maybe I’ll get one or two frames and put up framed posters of just my favorites. Or maybe I’ll set up a rotation schedule and change the posters out periodically. I’ll need a spreadsheet. And an iPhone reminder….

… you see the problem.

One of the reasons I don’t feel the need for posters anymore is because I have a computer. I set the screen saver to a particular file location I have on my computer and it cycles through the comic book images I’ve stored up over the years. No need for a poster when I have a multitude of favorite images scrolling by on the computer screen.

So why the t-shirts?

Perhaps the image I’m sporting is not for me. Perhaps I’m subconsciously wearing these things for other people. What am I saying to the world?

“I like Batman”?

“I’m unique because I have a Mr Miracle t-shirt and you’ve probably never even heard of him”?

“If you’re a young, attractive female please don’t consider me worthy mating material because not only am I married with kids but I can’t dress myself as if I’m a normal human adult male”?

“I need a walk-on part on Big Bang Theory”?

My wife hates the t-shirts. She pretends she doesn’t and everything’s good, but she’s clearly not a fan. The only thing she hates more is the Flash wallet my sister got for me last Christmas. She also used to hate that I read comics in the doctor’s office waiting room. She hates any indication I outwardly make that marks me as not the most socially acceptable dude on the planet.

SO PLEASE… if you have any insight into this behavioral anomaly at all, lay it on me. My wife and I are desperately looking for a cure.

Thanks,
DCD

P.S. I can hear my father now… “Stop buying the shirts, idiot.”







































4 comments:

  1. I love Katie. Love her love her love her.

    That wallet is awesome. I got Lorie one for this Christmas. Hope she likes it!!

    The t-shirts only bother me when we are walking around new York and your shirt is BRIGHT yellow. Dude. Save that one for OC where Im not trying to conform to pretentious new York culture. Geesh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's totally a hipster thing. The more obscure, the more hip. At the same time though, having unique tshirts that express our interests is a big fashion trend now. Look at woot shirts and other similar sites that only offer designs for a limited time. Look at shows like The Big Bang Theory where the main characters are often wearing original/hip tshirts. Having ready access to custom or limited tshirts is just another boon of this Information Age. Besides, when the recent Marvel and Batman movies do so well and rake in billions, saying "comic-booky" in any sort of negative sense would seem to be a rather weird assertion. There used to be a stigma associated with liking comics, but no more. Our entertainment industry turns more and more to this wellspring, producing things like The Walking Dead and Watchmen. It's a great time to be a comic dork.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The shirts are cool. It's not like you are going for all of them, just the best ones. That's why you buy them, that's why you wear them. Whoever doesn't agree just doesn't get it, and is therefore, not cool. I'm pretty sure The Fonz, the highest arbiter of cool, would give a "thumbs up" on this assessment. AYYYYYYYYY! Those other two comments... WHOOAAA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, well, well... it took 40 years but all that collecting finally became cool. Every other fad was used before it happened but being "comic booky" finally became the [in] thing.

    I think you collect t-shirts because clothes are a personal choice we make and the comic shirts make a statement about yourself. I used to do the same thing with concert shirts until they started costing as much as the ticket!

    Matt

    ReplyDelete