Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Edgar Rice Burroughs

As I may have mentioned before, and you may have picked up from my subtleties, I don’t read many books. I read constantly, just not many books. And the books I do read are somewhat dated.

Loaded on my iPad for reading at some point are a couple of books on the history of comics, the complete Sherlock Holmes, the complete works of H.P. Lovecraft, the collected Allan Quartermain, the complete works of Robert E. Howard (creator of Conan), some of the original James Bond novels, and pulp stories of the Shadow and Doc Savage. So as you can see, when I do stretch into genres and mediums other than super-hero comic books, I don’t exactly stretch very far.

One of the books on my iPad that I’ve been enjoying the most is the collected works of Edgar Rice Burroughs. If you don’t know, Burroughs created Tarzan. He also created John Carter, Warlord of Mars and other characters. But Tarzan is the one that has been rooted into our consciousness as part of the greater American mythology.



I’ve always kind of taken Tarzan for granted. As a kid, I remember the adults at a party tuning the TV set into an old black-and-white Tarzan movie in order to keep me still and quiet and out-of-the-way. As it turns out, the movie didn’t hold my interest as much as my buddy’s Millennium Falcon toy ship and the promise of science fiction adventure.

I vividly remember the Tarzan Filmation cartoon from 1977. I loved that cartoon and it ran for a few years. I even had a t-shirt with an image of that particular version of Tarzan. Although I can find no evidence that the t-shirt ever existed outside of my memory. I remember running and playing and yelling and pretending to be Tarzan. And I vividly remember the mechanics of the animation techniques used by Filmation and how much of the same movements were used by Captain Kirk, Batman, Lone Ranger, and Flash Gordon during their Filmation cartoons. I believe the Filmation studio had the greatest of respect for these time-honored characters, and that sense of respect is something I latched onto at an early age.


A couple of years ago I bought the collected works of Edgar Rice Burroughs and read the first Tarzan novel on my iPad. It was the first time I had ever read the original work, although I had been wanting to read it for awhile. Reading the novel really caught me off guard. With a property like Tarzan that has been told and re-told and re-told in movies, comics, television, and radio dramas, you don’t really expect to be caught off guard by the original work. Yet it was different from any version I had ever seen, and it was expressly violent. I can definitely see why it was so popular and why it has continued to be popular even through to today.


Another character Burroughs created is John Carter, Warlord of Mars. Tarzan has had a definite and lasting impact on our culture. And so has the John Carter character, although his effect is much less obvious. You can stop anyone in the street and they’ll know about Tarzan. Not so much the Warlord of Mars, although he did have a major motion picture earlier this year. The effect that John Carter has primarily had has been as inspiration for other works. Most famously notable is as one of the inspirations for Star Wars. In reading his adventures, you’ll find themes and situations very familiar to your 2012 self that would have been alien, fresh and new when reading the novels in 1912.



I’ve read the first two novels starring John Carter, the Warlord of Mars. And I was very impressed. For me, the work was definitely edge of your seat high style adventure.



I talk a lot about works like Tarzan and Warlord of Mars being ‘important’ and having a ‘lasting impact on our culture’. Even as I write that, I’m not entirely sure what I mean by it. I do feel that these characters and others are important to us on a cultural level. But even as I say that, my Grandmother appears on my shoulder in phantom form and reminds me that not everyone gives a hoot about such flights of fantasy. I guess for me the importance is twofold. The first aspect is how these characters have generated other characters and stories through powerful inspiration. Tarzan, Dracula, Superman, and Sherlock Holmes inspired entire genres of imitators.

The other aspect of importance, in my opinion, is the building of a shared culture. I feel that using these characters, I can connect with others on a certain level. Even if not directly, I can use their meaning to me to explore what’s important to someone else. As a devout comic book collector and character historian, I’m highly aware that no one I work with or hang out with really wants to talk about all that. But I do know that they must have something that’s important to them that they do want to talk about. And many times it’s exploring those avenues where I can find a connection.

So tell me, what cartoon’s did you watch as a kid?

Thanks,
DCD

3 comments:

  1. Tom & Jerry, the older the better. Merry Melodies, Scooby Doo (again, the older the better). Droopy Dog was good at times. Huckleberry Hound. Flintstones. Speed Buggy. Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels. Superfriends. Spiderman and his Amazing Friends. Space Ghost. Schmoo (sp?) Disney. I remember a Filmation Gilligan's Island... The opening for I Dream of Genie and Bewitched. But I digress... Is that enough fodder for your keyboard? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really ... no one you work with? I've read/listened to the first John Carter book and enjoyed it. I plan to consume the rest at some point. It's a shame how they dumb everything down for Hollywood and ruin great properties like this. The movie wasn't bad, but it didn't have the heart of the book, the core story of the green martians and how a civil war soldier earned their loyalty. I've read/listed to most of the works of H.P. Lovecraft and I love those. I've just started watching the BBC Sherlock series with Steph and I always enjoyed the Data/Moriarty episodes on Next Generation. The recent movies with Downey/Law have been very good.

    I feel like I've already made a post on this blog regarding the cartoons I watched growing up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, I try not to cater the blog to you because... well... you're on my side already! Nevertheless your comments here have sparked some thoughts for future blogs.

      Delete