Friday, February 22, 2013

Rack Toys and Plaid Stallions

I recently bought a book! An actual, physical book that existed in the real world. As loathe as I am to do that anymore, I felt that the individual responsible for this book deserves every freaking penny he can get.




The book is called "Rack Toys: Cheap, Crazed Playthings". And the individual responsible, Brian Heiler, is the operator of one my favorite daily websites. Plaid Stallions.

Plaid Stallions, as you may already know, is a website devoted to love of the 1970's. The main method of displaying this love is through catalogues. The website points out some of the more ridiculous aspects of our culture in the 1970's by reflecting that culture through the catalogues that we used to shop and buy things before the internet made that sort of shopping obsolete. It's exactly what my own blog is all about. Reflections of the culture of a specific time through a certain medium. Only Mr. Heiler shows true inovation in choosing the medium of catalogues.

My friends and co-workers are constantly plagued by my sending them links of the more hilarious posts from Plaid Stallions. Reactions vary. My buddy Steve gets a quick giggle. My buddy Larry is so sick of hearing about the seventies that he won't click the links anymore. My buddy Theresa, about twenty years younger than I am, shows shock and awe at the fashions. Often asking me "Did you wear stuff like this back then?"

To which I answer... "No. I was never that cool."

Fashion Mockery.

The Rack Toys book is pure devoted love for the cheap plastic toys that were sold as impulse items in grocery stores, convenience stores, and drug stores. Many of these items were licensed items sporting images of super heroes or Star Trek characters, hence my love for the material.

The book is a display, more than a formal discussion about the nature of these things. But once you pour through the display, I honestly don't know how much more discussion is necessary. I will tell you that I kept the book on my desk for a week. And during a few of my "anti-smoke breaks", I would flip through it. With a big, stupid grin on my face.

Would I recommend this book? If you read my blog because you're my Mom, then no. I wouldn't recommend the book to you. But if you come to my blog to wallow in my love of 'nerd culture', then yes. The book will make you happy down to your toes.

And even Aquaman gets an appearance.




Rack Toys

Thanks,
DCD

3 comments:

  1. Hey...of course I would love this book! It's paper, isn't it?! And I still love to look at all the little things like that that are sold in drug stores, etc.!! DixiegirlinVT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aquaman swim goggles ... how meta. I always get a kick out of the Plaid Stallions links. I'd like to flip through that toy book sometime, see if any of it jogs some memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this web site presents quality dependent content and other stuff, is there any other website which offers such data in quality?


    Feel free to visit my blog quickest way to lose weight

    ReplyDelete