Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Reading on my Lunch Break

I've read a lot of books on the history of comics in America. A lot. In fact, whenever I get a new book on the history of comics, I'm slightly curious as to whether I'll learn anything new.

Recently, as part of my efforts to 'trim the fat' of the collection, I decided to donate the books I have on the history of comics to the local library. It seemed like a good idea to help along anyone that might have similar interests. I collected the books together and was slightly surprised to find out I had twenty. Twenty books on the history of comics. I was rather comical struggling down the street and up the library steps with that stack. The Martinsburg Public Library has zero parking.

I have a rule that on my lunch breaks at work, I'll read 'for realsies' books. Books with more words than pictures. That's how I ended up reading the Steve Jobs biography last summer. And the Edgar Rice Burroughs stuff and H. Rider Haggard and some dalliances with H.P. Lovecraft and the Tina Fey biography Bossypants. All read during my lunch breaks at work.

The other day, I was reading at work with my feet up in my guest chair and content to be in a different head space for a few minutes. A co-worker that I don't really talk to all that much walked by my cube and stopped.

"Reading, huh." He asked me. "Reading comics?" My cube is covered in toys and trappings of the typical comic book enthusiast. So my hobby is no secret.

"No no... " I answered. "Real book this time."

"Oh yeah?" He strained at interest. "Whatchya reading this time?"

"It's a biography of Bill Everett. A comic book creator from the Golden Age of comics."

"... "

"He created the Sub-Mariner for Marvel comics." I felt the need to press on. "Interesting dude. Lived most of his life as an alcoholic and died of a heart attack."

"...." my co-worker wasn't exactly sure how to take this conversation to a satisfying exit. "You uh..." he waived a finger over my cube "You really get into this stuff. I mean... like... DEEP into this stuff."

"Yeah." I grinned. I have a private rule about not giving people too much information when they didn't ask for it. "I suppose I do."

He paused for a minute. Shifted from one leg to the other, and said: "I like music."

"Yeah?" I nodded. "Music's good."

"Yeah. I like it." He nodded back. "I guess we all have our own things."

"Yeah." I kept nodding.

"Well enjoy your book."

He walked off.

I smiled and went back to reading. I even learned a few things I didn't know before! About Bill Everett and the Sub-Mariner. Not about music or human interaction.

Thanks,
DCD



1 comment:

  1. Sounds like your coworker was a bit more socially awkward than you, which isn't surprising considering where we work.

    ReplyDelete