Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Halloween

Halloween. My favorite holiday. Christmas used to by my favorite, natch. But then I spent many years as a lonely miserable bachelor. Christmas is harsh under those circumstances. I got married in 1997 and had two wonderful Christmases as a newlywed. Then we had kids.

So yeah... Christmas is not a favorite.

Halloween has always been a favorite. It seems to combine a couple of my passions. History, horror, pop culture, fall, and I used to love candy. I love the decorations, I love the traditions, I love the origins. I'm all about the culture of something. And holidays are usually the first stop in defining a people's culture.

Rather than boor you with the history of Halloween, with the differences between Halloween of today and of yesteryear, or with Halloween nostalgia, I'm going to just bow out of it and offer you this:

Thanks to my Mom, it's the DCD Halloween pics of years gone by.















Thanks,
DCD

2 comments:

  1. Loved these pictures, natch! "Mom"

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO CUTE!!!

    I've been showing my kids some good Halloween entertainment because of Do A Barney Oldfield! We've watched Nightmare Before Christmas (of course), Corspe Bride, Beetlejuice and I introduced them to Scooby Doo for the first time! :) It's so fun!

    But…the other night we were watching my go-to Halloween movie Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown and it was the part when Snoopy was a WW1 Flying Ace. Andrew was asking what "ace" means and I said that it means you are really good at something. I am an ace at baking…he is an ace, he told me, at building things with cardboard boxes. He was quiet for a while and then said "I know what Uncle Chuck is an ace at!" "What?" "Uncle Chuck is an ace at strength and speed!" He put his hands around his biceps and said "Uncle Chuck is just so strong!" :)

    Happy Halloween, Ace!

    ReplyDelete