Friday, October 12, 2012

Why I Love Scooby Doo




It feels so odd to me that I love Scooby Doo so much. It seems... wrong. Out of place. My obsessions with comics and love of Star Trek, combined with a brain that needs to organize everything into nice clear cells on a spreadsheet, seems to have no room for a silly kids cartoon with a mystery-solving dog. But I take pride in my love of Scooby Doo. As if my interest in the character makes me a diversified individual with a range of interests.

Yeah... right.

Scooby Doo is one of those characters in "American Mythology" that seems to have transcended it's original medium. In 1969, Hanna Barbera put out the show as part of it's never ending machine of cartoon shows to fill Saturday morning programming. At the time, there was nothing about the show that would mark it as a decade-enduring favorite. But it grew to be their most popular property.



Scooby is also yet another example of a character changing with the decades to stay popular. Just as Superman and Batman have done, the Scooby Doo show and movies have changed in ways to keep them relevant to the current decade. Changing, evolving, and keeping hints of the elements of the show that made it original during it's debut. Fans of the show can decry things like the addition of Scrappy, or the introduction of romantic sub-plots, or even the use of cell phones and computers. But the mystery solving goofy hijinks of the show have proved to be timeless.



Some of my earliest memories are of Scooby Doo. I vaguely remember a poorly-informed older babysitter putting me in a high chair in front of the show when I was way too big for a high chair. But it mattered not because Scooby was on the TV and doing one of his silly chases through doors that made no logical sense. I remember a coloring book with cut out paper dolls on the back cover. I was excited about that, because I thought that was the closest we would ever get to actual action figures. I remember being at an amusement park with my parents, really wanting a Scooby Doo stuffed toy they had in a gift shop, but knowing I was too old to even ask for such a baby thing.

Nowadays, Scooby toys, plush animals, coloring books, and other merchandise are plentiful. They weren't so much in 1976. My favorite tea glass is Scooby Doo. I never got into Scooby comic books, though.


I think, personally, it's the atmosphere of the show I love the best. Not quite horror, but gothic mystery in characters and setting. The show being too silly to be scary, but I would sure love to find myself trapped in a haunted house with Daphne, exploring spooky corridors and having reality-bending adventures.


Daphne. Daphne... sigh. Another very early memory. First crush.


Now, as an adult, you can find every season of the show available on my Apple TV. It's one of the few shows that all three of my kids can agree on to watch. And it's definitely one of my guilty pleasures. I have no problem sitting and working on the budget with Scooby playing in the background.



Thanks,
DCD

3 comments:

  1. I never really liked it that much….but I call Andrew "Scoobs"…short for "Scooby Drew"…and I think "zoinks" is super fun. so….seems I've absorbed some Scooby culture ;)

    I bet my kids will like the show. I should show it to them. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scooby Doo always bugged me as a kid and I never got into it. First was the real-world setting of the show where there's no magic, ghosts, or monsters. It's all fake and the kids just had to figure out who was behind it. I prefer fantasy-based cartoons where the world has at least a bit of the supernatural to it. The other thing that bugged me was that these bad guys had such amazing skills. They could make these extremely convincing ghosts and monsters using cutting-edge/sci-fi special effects. These people should be making millions in Hollywood, not trying to close down the theater so they can buy it for themselves. I mean, if you can make a working jet pack (which we still haven't figured out today), shouldn't you be patenting that and raking in the money? Nah, instead you create a flying ghost pirate designed for the sole purpose of scaring people away from a hotel that fired you so it goes out of business. Seems legit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Scooby Doo! I even like the new ones! But my favorites are the old ones due to the laugh track. Gotta love that laugh track. I can't believe Casey Kasem is still doing Shaggy!

    The last band I was in was almost called "Scooby Don't" which I thought would have been awesome. Unfortunately they didn't like to practice.

    Matt

    ReplyDelete