Monday, April 22, 2013

Suction Cups

I have a friend at work who recently accused me of having the super power of making boring, everyday stories seem slightly interesting.


And I admit, perhaps my type of stories aren't the roller coasters of adventure that I think they are. But... they're my stories and I'm gonna tell them anyway.

Like this one. It's awkward.

A couple of weeks ago, I wrote about my new comic book sanctuary and the concept of focusing the collection. I've been sticking to that idea pretty well as I set up the sanctuary. And I started the sanctuary with the most important display. A glass case full of licensing stuff from the 1970's.


But the case is heavy. And it loads from the back. You need a key to open it, and there's the constant danger of scratching the hard wood floors when swiveling the case out to add stuff to it.


It's quite the quandary.

When I first populated the case and carefully swiveled it back into place, this terrible tragedy happened.


All the Super Friends lined up and posing. Except for Wonder Woman, who took a nose dive. HEAVY SIGH! This would not do. What if I got something new for the collection? Or found something boxed up for years that really belonged on display?


Vaguely inappropriate Wonder Woman scissors?


DEFINITELY inappropriate Wonder Woman scissors. How can I not display these? But the case is set up already! What to do? What to do?


What could be the solution to such a devastatingly perplexing, first-world problem?


Lorie, as always came up with the solution. And when she first suggested it, I was more than a little dubious.


Suction cups? Really? But would they hold my weight?

Lorie went on to explain the devices wouldn't be used to scale buildings, as I had immediately assumed. But instead, I could attach them to the top piece of glass in the case and remove it, populating my antique dollies from above.

I was a little worried that my natural clumsiness would bring this operation to a disastrous end. So I enlisted some help.


She was dubious too.

What? I'm going to ask Ashton to help?? We've SEEN what he can do.


This was just the lawn mower, folks. On the first lawn mowing of the season, no less. No No... my go-to "Collection Assistant" is my overly OCD daughter, Katie.

Just what an eleven year old girl aspires too.

So we got the suction cups attached.


Katie nervously took hold...


... and... IT WORKED!


Worked very well, I might add. So we took some things out and played for awhile.


And then we set up some displays.





















Afterwards, we got the glass back on with no problem at all.


That may not have seemed like a pulse-pounding adventure to you folks, but it certainly had my heart racing a little.

Thanks,
DCD

4 comments:

  1. Katie (and Lorie) to the rescue!! Not nearly as perplexing as the problem you and Lorie solved for your parents Sun. PM!!! Super Chuck indeed!
    (one does have to wonder why you have those suction cups thingys lying around! dixiegirlinvt

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Katie. I LOVE KATIE!!! She is just so rad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice 21st century solution! As I read I was thinking of you putting a rug underneath and sliding the whole case, with the rug, away from the wall as needed. That way, you could sweep the floor as well. Suction cups work too. Maybe attach the Bat-Copter with ropes to the suction cups for added effect...? Glass case looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm more interested to know how the heavy glass case got up the stairs and into the sanctuary? How's the back these days???

    Matt

    ReplyDelete