Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The Confrontation

As I may have mentioned before, we've started taking the kids to a church youth group on Wednesday nights. All three kids. It's a way of getting them out of the house and social with a group of friends that may turn out to be a positive influence.

A happy side effect to this is that Lorie and I have started to have dates. We had forgotten what it was like to be alone together, as it only happens once or twice a year. So while the kids are at youth group, we've been sneaking out to various restaurants and just being together.

Last Wednesday, we went to a restaurant and had a nice meal together. Afterwards, I dropped Lorie off at the house to get started on some endless addition chores, and then took off for the church to pick up the kids.

This particular church is very popular for their youth group program. The place was swarming with people. Teenagers and older kids of all sizes were everywhere while I stood in the lobby waiting for Alex. My seven-year-old has joined the program for younger kids and they get released to parents, rather than just let go like the older kids. I stood there, clutching my kid-claim-ticket, trying to hold down my frustration at being out so late on a work night and having to wait. I have issues with patience.

The parents waiting with me began to get funneled towards the double doors, only one of which was open, in order to step up to a desk, present a claim ticket, and get their kids. I was second in line, behind a much shorter grandmother type woman obviously there for her grandkid.

The place was controlled chaos. I was uncomfortable.

The woman in front of me presented her ticket, got her kid, got the kid's coat on in a lingering process of awkwardness that took forever, and finally got ready to go. But instead of walking out into the normal flow of traffic to make her escape, this woman swiveled in place and began to walk.

And planted her face square into the middle of my chest.

DEEP into my chest.

Like.... deep deep into my chest.

I felt like a stripper for a moment.

The only regular contact I have with women are my wife Lorie and my daughter Katie. Hugs are frequent and familiar. But to have such contact with anyone else, much less a stranger, is just weird. And here I was, being 'snuzzled' by someone's grandmother who really just wanted to pick up her grandkid and leave.

The woman bounced back off my chest and staggered back. She didn't look up. I said "Excuse me. I'm sorry." She mumbled something, slipped past me, and was gone.

But for that one brief moment, we were one.

Thanks,
DCD



3 comments:

  1. LOL!!!You can really paint a picture! dixiegirlinVT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm gonna start doing that, standing closely behind women in lines! Thanks for the dating tip, Uncle Chucky! Now to marinate my chest with liniments and oils...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only contact I have is my wife and my mom so I DEFINITELY would have taken advantage of the situation!

    Matt

    ReplyDelete