Friday, July 6, 2012

Artistic Differences - Flash

Folks,

One of the series that I want to run on this blog is a look at how a particular character can be vastly different depending on the decade in which he's depicted.  Superman and Batman are the clear leading examples, and much has been written about that.

But other than attitude and depiction, there's art.  While I'm not an artist, I am highly intrigued by art and different art styles.  I began to recognize different art styles at a very early age.  When I realized this guy 'Kirby' made things look different from EVERYONE else.

I've also just completed a read of the Silver Age Flash, Barry Allen.  Every appearance from the first in 1956 to the last issue of his series in 1985.  It was fun, and I love reading a character straight through like that.  But with the Flash, the differences between the different decades was made quite apparent to me.

I'll get to that later.  For now, let's check out some art.  Just for fun.

Flash had five different main artists on his book from 1956 to 1985.  His originator, Carmine Infantino.  Carmine's successor Ross Andru.  My favorite and the artist I associate with Flash from my childhood, Irv Novick.  Don Heck, who I recognize as a classic but has never been one of my favorites.  And then in the 1980's, Carmine Infantino came back again.  This time with a looser style and much more confidence, having been DC's editor in chief in the meantime and probably having hired the editor that was overseeing him.

Carmine's pencils are widely recognized as one of the industry greats.  I love his stuff from the sixties.  As a kid, I wasn't too fond of his Spider-Woman or Star Wars work in the seventies.  And as a teenager in the eighties I had no appreciation for Carmine at all.  I guess I just didn't have the perspective I have now.  But the 1980's were all about George Perez, John Byrne, Keith Giffen, and Jerry Ordway for me.  Highly detailed artists.  Carmine is more fluid.  And if he has the wrong inker, he was a mess.

ANYWAY... just my opinion.  Here are some shots.

Carmine Infantino; 1965


 Ross Andru; 1968

 Irv Novick; 1978

 Don Heck; 1981

Carmine Infantino; 1983

Other artists had a crack at Flash when he made appearances in the Brave and the Bold and, of course, Justice League of America.
Neal Adams; 1968
Jim Aparo; 1976
Mike Sekowsky; 1960
Dick Dillon; 1979
George Perez; 1981


Thanks,
DCD

1 comment:

  1. Barney Oldfield can go suck an egg; The Flash is FAST! I always liked those covers where Flash and Superman were racing to see who was fastest! Her is a recap: http://blog.paxholley.net/2010/05/14/who-wins-the-history-of-the-superman-vs-flash-races/

    ReplyDelete